Galore > CompTIA A+ Certification > Windows
Certification> Domain 3
CompTIA A+ Certification Windows Exam Self-Study
us out, make a donation!
Sample Test Questions
The table below lists the domains measured by this examination and the extent to which they are represented.
|Domain||% Of Examination|
|1.0 OS Fundamentals||28%|
|2.0 Installation, Configuration and Upgrading||31%|
|3.0 Diagnosing and Troubleshooting||25%|
3.1 Recognize and interpret the meaning of common error codes and startup
messages from the boot sequence, and identify steps to correct the problems.
Content may include the following:
3.2 Recognize when to use common diagnostic utilities and tools.
Given a diagnostic scenario involving one of these utilities or tools, select
steps needed to resolve the problem.
Utilities and tools may include the following:
Required files for a boot disk
Boot disk with CD-ROM support
Safe Mode with command prompt
Safe mode with networking
Step-by-Step/Single step mode
Automatic skip driver (ASD.exe)
Diagnostic tools, utilities and resources
Eliciting problem symptoms from customers
Having customer reproduce error as part of the diagnostic process
Identifying recent changes to the computer environment from the user
Back to Top
common operational and usability problems and determine how to resolve them.
Content may include the following:
Troubleshooting Windows-specific printing problems
Print spool is stalled
Incorrect/incompatible driver for print
Other Common problems
General Protection Faults
Bluescreen error (BSOD)
Invalid working directory
System lock up
Option (Sound card, modem, input device) or will not function
Application will not start or load
Cannot log on to network (option – NIC not functioning)
Applications don’t install
Viruses and virus types
What they are
TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) programs and virus
Sources (floppy, emails, etc.)
How to determine presence
Back to Top
1. What would you use to test serial or parallel ports to see if they are
1) Loopback plugs
2. You have just replaced the floppy drive in your computer. When you power
up, the light comes on and stays on. What could be the problem?
1) This is normal, the light stays on when the system is running
2) The cable has been installed backwards
3) The drive is defective
4) The CMOS settings are incorrect
3. How would you discharge a CRT?
1) You never need to discharge a monitor
2) Use a high-voltage probe
3) Use a multi-meter
4) Use a screwdriver
4. If you can't get out onto the Internet via a dial-up modem, what should
1) Check to see if someone is using a fax machine on the same phone line
2) Check the operating system installed
3) Check the available RAM
4) Check to see if there is a dial tone on the phone line
5) Check to see if anyone is using a phone on the same phone line
6) Check to see if there is BIOS update available
5. What effect will a noisy phone line have on your connection?
1) Speeds up port speed
2) Slows down port speed
3) Will have no effect on the connection
4) You won't be able to make a connection
6. If the system diagnostics suggest you replace three components, which of
the following is the best course of action?
1) Replace the least expensive part and return the system to the customer
2) Replace the one that you think is failing and return the system to the customer
3) Replace all three and return the system to the customer
4) Replace them one at a time to verify the failing part and then return the system to the customer
7. A customer calls you and states the monitor and keyboard have stopped
working, and you can see the power lights on the case are on. When you arrive
and confirm both are not working properly, what would the most likely repair
1) Replace the keyboard with a known working part and then proceed as required
2) Change out system board
3) Swap out the keyboard and monitor with known working parts
4) Replace on-board power supply because it sounds like the unit was hit by lightning
8. Which of the following would you use to fix scattered files on
your hard disk?
9. You have just received a phone call from a customer saying their
computer is behaving very strangely. After asking a few questions, you determine
behavior" is related to the computer erratically losing its data and time
settings. What is the most probable cause?
1) Bad Power Cable
2) The CMOS Battery
3) IRQ Conflict
4) Insufficient amount of RAM
10. Under what circumstance should you run Scandisk with the thorough
1) Whenever Windows is improperly shutdown
2) Whenever you receive an application-related error
3) Whenever Windows tells you that your hard drive is developing bad sectors
4) Whenever you run disk defragmenter
11. If you change the refresh rate of a monitor to a setting which is too
fast, what will be the most likely result?
1) The mouse will not function.
2) More RAM will be required.
3) The monitor will go blank.
4) The operating system will not load.
12. What is the standard I/O address for LPT2?
13. You just purchased a brand new computer at an estate sale. You got a great
deal and are very excited to start working with it. Unfortunately, the previous
owner (who is now deceased) has set passwords in the CMOS. What can you do
to overcome this problem?
1) Buy a third-party password-decoding device
2) Jump the pins on the motherboard
3) There is no fix to this problem, take the computer back, or use it for parts
4) Replace the CMOS chip
14. If you are trying to resolve a printer port error and need to restart
the system, it is not necessary to perform a cold boot. A warm boot will be
15. You are having intermittent problems with your computer and suspect that
it has to do with overheating. What could you do to test this theory?
1) Use a thermometer to track the temperature inside the machine
2) Replace the power supply
3) Remove the slot covers
4) Replace the cooling fan
Back to Top
Go to CompTIA A+ Certification Windows Domain 4.0 Networks Test Help
Copyright © 2002-2019 Port Bell. Get to the Top of the Search Engines. Your premier Western Washinton SEO / search engine optimization company All rights reserved except where noted.
NEW CLIENT OPPORTUNITIES ARE WAITING FOR YOU